Year One Shiatsu course
Here is the information about the first year of Shiatsu Training:
The next Shiatsu Introductory Day is 18th August 2018
This inspiring course consists of monthly weekends allowing a flexible timetable for participants (see below for dates)
The ‘Shiatsu for Relaxation’ course enables students to practice Shiatsu on family and friends. This can be an enjoyable stand-alone year for fun and self-development; as well as the first of the 3-year practitioner training programme.
Care is taken to allow for a range of learning methods, a balance of practical and theoretical study, and safe and professional bodywork training.
Please do contact us on email@example.com if you have any questions.
A certificate is awarded on completion. If you are keen to become a practitioner, there will be a further 2 years of part-time training. The 3 years do not have to be taken consecutively and can be carried out at other Shiatsu Schools in the UK and abroad.
A mid-year tutorial is part of the course to enable progress feedback. There are end-of-year assessments (practical and theoretical).
The Shiatsu School Edinburgh (TSSED) is fully ratified. All teachers are MRSS (Member of the professional Register of the Shiatsu Society) practitioners and some are also teachers recognised by the Shiatsu Society (UK) designated ‘T’.
Class assistants are graduates of TSSED or other recognised Shiatsu Schools.
- A full range of basic Shiatsu techniques, treating the whole body in four positions: prone, supine, sitting and side positions.
- Exercises for developing sensitivity to both the giver’s and the receiver’s energy (Ki).
- The Four Forms of Oriental Diagnosis.
- Chinese Five Element Theory as applied to diagnosis and (energy meridian) bodywork.
- The philosophy of Yin and Yang and its application to daily life, Oriental diagnosis and medicine.
- An introduction to TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) theory related to Shiatsu.
- The location of the 12 classical acupuncture/acupressure meridians and their physical and psychological functions.
- The location and uses of the major acupuncture/acupressure points.
- Basic anatomy and pathology: muscles, skeletal system, back pain, stress, insomnia, coughs and colds, mental health issues and more.
- How to work holistically, considering the receiver’s mind and emotions as well as their body.
- Self-Shiatsu exercises and methods of supporting and enhancing the practitioner’s own energy and personal development: meditation, chi gung and Japanese stretching exercises.
- Communication and Listening skills.
Venue for classes Southside Centre, 86 Causewayside, Edinburgh, EH9 1PY.
All classes start at 10am and end at 5.30pm.
Dates for 2018/19:
1. Sep 29/30 2018
2. Oct 27/28
Practice classes: There is no Practice Class planned at the moment in Edinburgh.
Usually, all levels of experience are welcome. Please bring a futon or mat, cushion and blanket if possible (if not, come anyway!). These sessions are a chance to meet other Shiatsu people and receive some lovely treatment.
Cost and payment (2018/19)
Deposit: £250 to secure your place. Then, £130 per month made by direct debit in advance. Contact us if you have questions about fees.
To make an application, please send us an email stating your name, address, phone number and email. Also any previous and relevant experience you might have (this is a course for beginners) and stating why you are interested in learning Shiatsu.
You are on your way to discovering an exciting form of healing energy bodywork!